Finch is an IM and IRC client for command line. It supports all the protocols supported by pidgin. Like pidgin, it makes use of libpurple. So, all your account configured for pidgin can be used on finch too .
It has nifty shortcuts based on alt keys to navigate around. Making it quite simple to use for those people who are faster with keyboard than with mouse. . Some frequently used shortcuts are :-
- Alt + q – quit
- Alt + c – close window
- Alt + n – next window
- Alt + p – previous window
- Alt + a – View available actions
- Alt + w – list of windows
- Alt + m – move window
- Alt + r – resize window
- F10 – Show menu for current window
- Alt + tab – next URGENT window
- Alt + Shift + tab – previous urgent window
Not so difficult to remember the shortcuts. No use of mouse required at all
Alas! Keybindings don’t work under screen so I can’t run it in screen session rest everything is perfect.